SKA Anti-Doping Policy

Korfball in Great Britain is subject to the anti-doping regulations of both the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and UK Sport. This has been a hot topic since two English National League players tested positive for banned substances and were subsequently banned from playing, coaching, refereeing, or even training korfball for two years.

Players may be selected for testing at any International event or BKA competition (e.g. Home Nations, Inter-Area). All clubs in Scotland need to ensure that their players are aware of the requirements and comply with the current regulations.

The full and updated Scottish Korfball Association Anti-Doping regulations can be found in the policy library . It is advised that every club briefs its players on the changes to the regulations and any implications that they may have.

Full Scottish Korfball Association anti-doping policy:
Available to download here.

Which drugs are banned in korfball?
Anabolic agents e.g. anabolic steroids
Hormones and related substances
Asthma inhalers e.g. Ventolin (salbutamol) inhalers
Corticosteroids e.g. ‘Reliever’ asthma inhalers
Stimulants e.g. amphetamines
Narcotics e.g. morphine

Any korfballer taking any of the above medications for MEDICAL reasons will require an exemption certificate. This will cover you if you are subject to drug testing and allow you to continue playing korfball with a clear conscience! Please note that antibiotics and the oral contraceptive pill are NOT banned substances and DO NOT require exemption certificates.

What is an exemption certificate?
A TUE (Therapeutic Use Exemption) certificate is a form that must be filled in and signed by your doctor to verify that you have been prescribed the drug for medical reasons. Please note that some doctors may charge you for this service. There are two types of TUE certificates:

  • Abbreviated TUE: most commonly used for inhaled asthma medication and inhaled glucocorticoids
  • Full TUE

My doctor prescribes me regular medication. What do I need to do?
You are advised to contact the SKA Secretary by email. The first step is to verify that the medication you take is on the banned substance list and if you therefore require a TUE. You will then be provided with a TUE form which you must take to your GP to sign. This should be handed back to the SKA Secretary (preferably scanned and emailed). The form will then be sent to the International Korfball Association prior to the competition or event. Please leave plenty of time to organise this prior to competition.

Anything else I need to know?
TUEs once granted have a time limitation. For asthma medication this tends to be 2-3 years.
For further information please contact the SKA.

Further information and resources
World Anti-doping agency (WADA)
Full policy download

Miscellaneous Health: 
American Cancer Society